Other Museums at Mexico City
As we have say before, Mexico City’s has more than 150 museums which can be visited from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm, although some of them have extended schedules, such as the Museum of Anthropology and History, which is open to 7 pm. In addition to this, entrance to most museums are free on Sunday. In some cases a modest fee may be charged.
Please check our recommendations on the slider above or ask us at Casa Azul B&B in the front desk or you can contact us any time.
Please also consider that we have included some museums in a bigger category as “Ruins” and “Murals” or so on, because on those places you will find an onsite museum.
Mexico City has numerous museums dedicated to art, including Mexican colonial, modern and contemporary art, and international art. The Museo Tamayo was opened in the mid-1980s to house the collection of international contemporary art donated by famed Mexican (born in the state of Oaxaca) painter Rufino Tamayo. The collection includes pieces by Picasso, Klee, Kandinsky, Warhol and many others, though most of the collection is stored while visiting exhibits are shown.
The Museo de Arte Moderno (Museum of Modern Art) is a repository of Mexican artists from the 20th century, including Rivera, Orozco, Siqueiros, Kahlo, Gerzso, Carrington, Tamayo, among others, and also regularly hosts temporary exhibits of international modern art. In southern Mexico City, the Museo Carrillo Gil (Carrillo Gil Museum) showcases avant-garde artists, as does the University Museum/Contemporary Art (Museo Universitario Arte Contemporáneo – or MUAC), designed by famed Mexican architect Teodoro González de León, inaugurated in late 2008.
However we will give a list with the most important ones and its link to the webpage in case of interest.
Remember you can always ask for advise or tips at the front desk of Casa Azul B&B.
- Academy of San Carlos
- Acuario Inbursa
- Alfredo Guati Rojo National Watercolor Museum
- Anahuacalli Museum
- Museo Archivo de la Fotografía
- Archivo Diseño y Arquitectura
- Museo Nacional de Arte
- Museo de Arte Moderno
- Museo de Arte Popular
- Museo del Caracol
- Caricature Museum, Mexico City
- Casa Lamm
- Casa Lamm Cultural Center
- Casa Talavera Cultural Center
- Centro Cultural Border (Mexico City)
- Centro Cultural de España
- Centro Cultural Isidro Fabela
- Centro de Cultura Digital
- Chapultepec Castle
- Museo de Charrería
- Museo Universitario del Chopo
- Colección Jumex
- Museum of the Constitutions
- Museo Nacional de las Culturas
- Memory and Tolerance Museum
- Museo del Enervante
- Museo del Estanquillo
- Museo Nacional de Arquitectura
- Museo Nacional de Culturas Populares
- Museo Nacional de Historia
- Museo Nacional de las Intervenciones
- Museum of Mexico City
- Palace of Iturbide
- Palace of the Inquisition
- Palacio de Bellas Artes
- Palacio de la Autonomía
- Palacio de Minería
- Papalote Museo del Niño
- Salón de la Plástica Mexicana
- Museo Nacional de San Carlos
- San Ildefonso College
- San Pedro y San Pablo College, Mexico City
- Santa Teresa la Antigua
- Museo de la Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Público
- Museo Soumaya